Tuesday, January 15, 2013

They're Playing My Song

I know I'm not the only one who does this...

Do you ever find yourself putting songs to life situations? I do that a lot. I have songs for everything, in fact I have songs for situations that aren't even mine. "You're going through a break up? Omg, this song describes your life." There are so many appropriate songs for so many different life events. For example, when my friend of twelve years and I parted ways, I ascribed the song "Too Close" by Alex Clare to it.

"It feels like I am just to close to love you. There is nothing I can really say. I can't lie no more, I can't hide no more, got to be true to myself...so I'll be on my way." Perfect: I know too much about you. I've said all I can say. I have to do what is true for me. We can no longer be friends. Goodbye. (That's my interpretation of the song)

When Daniel was on deployments: "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down or "Far Away" by Nickelback. Sing it, boys. I'm going to cry and write long letters. 

When I think of Michael Fassbender, or any current version of Sherlock Holmes (or even Basil Rathbone): "Run" by Matt Nathanson.

I'm kidding...I'm mostly kidding

I don't really have a point to all this, I just was thinking about how much I take from music, and how sometimes I wish I could speak in song lyrics. Sometimes I picture singing various songs to the people I want to confront, or comfort someone. What would life be like if we acted like we lived in musicals and just burst into song? Sometimes I do, when I'm alone. I sing at the top of my lungs, and it feels right. 

Currently I'm singing, "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables (as performed by Michael Henry and Justin Robinette) and "Letting Go." by The Afters. What are you singing? 




3 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog.. I've loved your writing for a long time.. so, in keeping with the theme.. Patsy Cline, At last..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so awesome. I'm glad you found me. :-p

      Delete
  2. I actually have the word ” unwritten” tattooed on my right foot from the song by natasha bedingfield. This song guided me though some of my darkest days. It spoke to me as a homeless single mom telling me I write my own happy story for me and my daughter. It guided me to the beautiful story I continue writing and watch each blessing unfold everyday.

    ReplyDelete